Two people have died following a nationwide salmonella outbreak linked to tainted cucumbers, hundreds more have fallen ill after consuming the product.
The outbreak is one of several linked to contaminated food products this year. In April 2015, at least ten people suffered from Listeria monocytogenes infections after consuming tainted Blue Bell ice cream products. Three people died after consuming the contaminated ice cream products. After several rounds of testing, the company recalled their products and stopped production.
Now, cucumbers imported from Mexico and distributed by Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce have been found to be contaminated with Salmonella Poona. The outbreak has led to 341 infections across more than half of the U.S. Seventy people have been hospitalized while two people died from salmonella poisoning.
Two residents from Franklin and Summit counties in Ohio have been impacted by the outbreak. However, both had traveled to the West Coast before falling ill. It is not believed that the tainted cucumbers have been distributed in Ohio.
There have been at least five salmonella outbreaks reported this year, all of which were for food products.
Maryland health officials recently sent out a warning that Picnic Gourmet Spreads sold in Ohio and other neighboring states may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Picnic Gourmet Spreads manufacturers cheese spreads. The company has ceased production and health officials are advising consumers to throw these products out.
While the contaminated food products have not led to an outbreak, the public is still at-risk of suffering serious illnesses.
In 2014, there were four Listeriosis outbreaks linked to caramel apples, soy products, cheese and other dairy products.
If you or someone you love has fallen ill after consuming a contaminated food product, you may be entitled to file a product liability claim. At O’Connor, Acciani & Levy, our injury attorneys believe in holding negligent food manufacturing companies accountable for putting the public at-risk of food poisoning.