Everyone at some point in their life will experience a slip and fall. Winter conditions such as iced roads or snow-covered trails can increase the chances of slipping and badly injuring yourself. While many cases of slips and falls are minor, some severe cases that cause fractures and broken bones mayhappen because of a negligent property owner.
If you were injured after slipping and falling, a qualified Cincinnati slip and fall injury lawyer at O’Connor, Acciani & Levy can help. We can investigate whether a property owner’s negligence contributed to your accident and hold them responsible for the full extent of your damages.
Where Slip And Falls Are More Likely To Occur
A slip and fall accident can occur anywhere. However, there are certain locations where these accidents often occur and lead to serious injury:
- Hotels – Slips and falls are one of the most common injuries at these facilities. Many of these accidents occur on flat walking surfaces that are wet or slippery for some other reason.
- Restaurants – Slippery floors due to fallen drinks or food can cause slips and falls in restaurants.
- Grocery stores – Employees and customers alike can slip and fall because of obstructions in the pathway, falling items or slippery floors.
- Work – One of the leading locations where falls occur is in the work environment. This is especially the case for construction workers who work in hazardous conditions.
Proving A Slip And Fall Case
There are many factors that must be reviewed when building a slip and fall case:
In order to have a viable case, there must have been some unsafe condition on the property, such as the accumulation of snow or ice, slippery floors, debris or other conditions that posed a danger. Additionally, the property owner must have caused this condition or allowed it to be in place.
Another important element is whether the property owner warned guests or visitors of the dangerous condition. If the property owner was aware of the danger, he or she should have fenced off, or placed warning signs near the hazardous area to help prevent injuries to others.
Did The Property Owner Violate Laws?
The property owner may have violated a law or regulation that contributed to the accident. For example, he or she may have failed to maintain the property in compliance with local regulations, such as by having too many people in the building at one time.
Time Limit To Report
In Ohio, there is a two-year statute of limitations to file a claim based on personal injury cases, including slips and falls. This means that you have two years from the date of your fall to file a lawsuit, or your claim can be barred.
Your personal injury lawyer will need time to investigate your claim and all probable causes to seek recovery for your injury. This includes time to evaluate your damages and determine the full value. This is why it is best to contact a lawyer quickly. The longer you wait, the more difficult it may become for your lawyer to obtain favorable compensation.
Compensation For A Slip And Fall Accident
The amount of compensation that is available for a slip and fall accident depends on the damages that you suffered, such as:
- Medical expenses: You may have fractured a bone, suffered a spinal cord injury or experienced another type of injury that requires medical intervention. You may incur expenses for emergency room treatment, follow-up appointments with a physician, imaging tests and medication.
- Property damage: You may have wrecked a phone or another personal item when you fell and may be entitled compensation for your broken or damaged property.
- Loss of income: Slipping and falling can result in spinal cord injuries, broken hips and other serious injuries that can affect your ability to move around and make a living. You may miss some days of work to recover from your injuries or attend medical appointments. Compensation may be available to cover your lost wages or income.
- Pain and suffering: Falls can cause serious physical pain. You may be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, including emotional issues from your injuries such as struggling to fall asleep.
Contact A Qualified Slip And Fall Injury Lawyer Today
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, take these steps to protect your claim. Then, contact a qualified slip and fall lawyer from O’Connor, Acciani & Levy. We can take legal action against the property owner or other responsible person. We will work hard every day to pursue the maximum compensation for your injuries.
We charge no upfront fees and offer a free consultation to review your case. We can explain your legal options and customize a legal strategy to your case. Because we only charge fees if we successfully help you recover compensation for your claim, there is no risk to find out about your options.