Due to the severity of the winter season in our region, many of the roads in Ohio and Kentucky are in desperate need of repair
Potholes, deteriorated roads and other hazards can cause dangerous driving conditions for many motorists, with some potholes being deep enough to cause the tire of a car to be punctured causing significant damage to the rim and other components of the vehicle.
In fact, some roads are in such poor condition that they can cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle and potentially be the cause of a serious accident.
Have you or someone you loved suffered damage to a vehicle or been involved in an accident that may have been caused by a dangerous road?
Did you know that it is the responsibility of State and Federal authorities to provide safe, well-designed roads for citizens? The auto accident attorneys at O’Connor, Acciani & Levy recognize this responsibility isn’t always met, and disastrous, sometimes fatal, accidents can be the result.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident due to bad road conditions, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, material damages, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other costs associated with the traffic accident.
To find out how we can help you, call us today at (877) 288-3241 or simply complete the Free Case Evaluation form to learn more about your legal options.
Poor Road Design
Although most auto accidents are the result of driver error, there are instances where a poorly designed road can lead to an accident. The most common design flaws that can result in a crash include:
- Dangerous curves
- Pavement with insufficient skid resistance
- Hazards blocking visibility at intersections and crosswalks
- Absent, defective, or improper warning signs
- Defective or missing guard rails
- Parking policies that limit visibility at a dangerous intersection
- Entrance and exit ramps that are too short or don’t allow safe merging
- Shoulders that aren’t visibly distinct
- Poor drainage that can result in hydroplaning
- Perilous street drop-offs, like ravines and cliffs
In an accident, traffic officers are usually trained to assign fault to one of the motorists involved. Poor road design and maintenance are typically not taken into consideration when officers write their reports. That’s why you need a lawyer from O’Connor, Acciani & Levy with comprehensive knowledge of the standards that road designs must meet.
Types Of Bad Roads
Driving can be difficult enough in the best of conditions. When the roads are in poor shape (and holes, bumps, uneven pavement, and construction are present) it creates an environment that dramatically increases the chance of an auto accident occurring.
The following are some of the most common types of bad roads in Ohio:
- Work Zones: When traveling through a work zone, drivers should be particularly careful. Cones, signs, shifting lanes, road crews, uneven roads, and other construction hazards all present potential dangers.
- Slippery When Wet: Road surfaces can become very slick when it rains, and hydroplaning can occur if drivers fail to reduce speeds or take turns at a slower pace.
- Shoulder Drop-Off: If there is a gap of two or more inches below a roads surface on a shoulder then a drop-off area exists. This space can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles if unnoticed or ignored.
- Ice Patches: Ice patches can form when the temperatures drop below freezing, but they can also occur in areas where there is improper drainage on the road. Drivers must exercise extra caution when icy conditions are present.
- Potholes: A pothole is a disruption in the surface of a roadway where part of the road material has broken away and a hole has been left in its place. They present an obvious danger and can lead to disastrous wrecks. Ohio residents are advised to contact local authorities and notify them about any discovered potholes.
There are not always road signs to identify all of these potential hazards. It is imperative that drivers keep a sharp eye out for bad road conditions and take the necessary steps to keep themselves and others safe.
Contact Our Experienced Attorneys Today
Poor road conditions are an unfortunate reality on our nations roadways. An accident resulting from poor road design or inadequate maintenance can happen in an instant and have painful life-long results.
If you want a law firm with a reputation for success, then don’t hesitate in contacting the caring and considerate personal injury attorneys at O’Connor, Acciani & Levy. We strive to settle your case favorably for you, without going to court.
We have more than 30 years of experience in protecting the rights of the citizens of Ohio & Northern Kentucky.
Choose the attorneys with the professionalism, knowledge, and dedication necessary to solve your legal problems. Call us today at (877) 288-3241 to discuss the details of your case with our staff; its 100% free and completely confidential.