Driving in any type of hostile weather condition can be very difficult, particularly during certain seasons when high winds are much more prominent. Research suggests that approximately 24% of all accidents occur during bad weather conditions.
Although high winds are often associated with hurricanes on the East coast and tornadoes in the Midwest, they are still commonplace during thunderstorms and winter storms. According to the Ohio Committee for Severe Weather Awareness, high wind advisories are issued when wind gusts are expected to be between 31 and 39 miles per hour (mph) for at least an hour or for any wind gusts over 46 mph.
Driving in such conditions can be very dangerous. The Ohio Department of Public Safety estimates that more than 200 traffic collisions occurred during severe crosswinds. Additionally more than 38,000 collisions were the result of a driver losing control of the vehicle which could occur due to high winds.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash caused by a reckless driver during high winds, the victim may be entitled to compensation for property damage, medical bills, lost wages, and more.
For a no-cost, no-obligation evaluation of your claim, fill out the FREE CASE REVIEW form to your right its 100% FREE to submit.
Tips For Driving In High Winds
A car collision is just one of the many risks that come with driving in high winds. Not only can your vehicle quickly veer off course so could plenty of debris or another persons vehicle if they do not know how to properly handle the situation.
Some tips for driving in high winds include:
- Slow down. Large vehicles in particular such as vans and pick-up trucks are much more difficult to control during strong crosswinds.
- Maintain Control of the Wheel. Keeping both hands on the wheel can help you maintain better control of your vehicle when a strong wind gust hits you.
- Avoid Vehicles Towing Cargo. It is best to avoid vehicles such as tractor-trailers or smaller trucks towing boats or campers as they could easily sway due to the wind and rollover.
- Watch for Fallen Debris. Trees, power lines, and even loose furniture can quickly be thrown in the way of a vehicle during high wind conditions. Truck cargo that is not properly secured can also be thrown onto the road or the vehicle behind it.
- Avoid Stopping on Bridges. Stopping on a bridge makes it much easier for a vehicle to get pushed off as winds blow through bridge gratings.
High winds are usually accompanied by rain or snow which means that road surfaces may also be slippery. The combination of bad weather could lead to a serious car accident if a motorist is not careful.
If possible a driver may also want to consider seeking shelter in a safe, covered, location and resume driving when the winds have slowed down. Keeping an emergency kit with nonperishable foods and bottled water in your vehicle can help you be prepared for such a situation should the high winds continue for an extended period of time.
Injured In A Crash? Contact Us Today
Though we trust most drivers to drive safely during bad weather conditions, inexperienced and reckless drivers may not know how to deal with the situation which quickly puts their fellow motorists in danger. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by a careless driver during high winds, the victim may be eligible to make a claim against the party at fault.
With more than 30 years of combined legal experienced our Cincinnati personal injury lawyers at O’Connor, Acciani & Levy have a comprehensive knowledge of common auto accidents and are ready to help you. We can help guide you through the entire litigation process to ensure that you receive the MAXIMUM amount of compensation you deserve.
We are also pleased to help personal injury victims in the Covington, Kentucky area. To find out how we may be able to help you with your accident case, contact us at (877) 288-3241 for a free, no-cost initial case review.
If you prefer to contact us online, fill out the FREE CASE REVIEW form located at the top right hand corner of the page and we will review your claim right away.