Riding your bicycle is an excellent way to stay healthy, enjoy the outdoors and travel around the Cincinnati area for free.
However, it can be dangerous if you do not take proper safety precautions. Our Cincinnati bike accident lawyers recommend following these bike safety tips to help reduce your risk of a crash.
Safe Bike Riding Tips
There are several things you can do to help prevent an accident the next time you go for a bike ride:
- Always wear a properly fitted bicycle helmet.
- Be sure that your bike fits your size and weight appropriately.
- Always check to be sure that your bike tires are properly inflated and your brakes work before every ride.
- Wear neon or florescent colors to help ensure that drivers and other pedestrians see you.
- If possible, avoid riding at night because it is hard for drivers to see you in the dark.
- Always stay alert and watch for hazards, including fixed objects and nearby vehicles.
- Always ride in the direction of traffic.
Rules Of The Road For Bike Riders
Ohio has certain rules of the road for all bicycle riders, which are explained in Chapter 4511 of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC). Following these laws while employing the safety strategies above can help further reduce your chances of being involved in a dangerous accident.
Some specific laws for bicyclists in Ohio include:
- Bicyclists must follow the same rules of the road as drivers, online pharmacy cheap drugs including riding with traffic and complying with all signs and signals.
- Bicyclists should ride as near to the right side of the road as possible (ORC Section 4511.25). The only exception is when it is unreasonable or unsafe to do so. This includes situations where the lane is too narrow for a bicycle and car to ride side by side and when riders are trying to avoid fixed objects, parked cars, moving vehicles or surface hazards.
- Bicycles should have a white light in the front and a red reflector and red light in the rear when traveling between sunset and sunrise or whenever the weather calls for it.
- Bicyclists are not required by state law to use bike lanes, but are encouraged to do so.
- Bicyclists can sometimes ride on sidewalks, depending on the ordinances and laws applicable in your area. If you are unsure, it is best to ride on the road.
Cincinnati Bicycle Accident Lawyers Ready To Help
If you have been in an accident while on a bicycle, you may be able to file a legal claim against the driver of the vehicle involved in the crash.
The attorneys at O’Connor, Acciani & Levy know how to determine liability in a bicycle accident and can guide you through every step of the process.
Contact our Cincinnati personal injury lawyers today to schedule a free, no obligation legal consultation to discuss your claim.