Bad weather, coupled with a lack of proper maintenance, increases the likelihood of slip and fall accidents during the winter months.
When temperatures drop, sidewalks become icy, walking trails are often covered with snow, and parking lots are riddled with slush-filled potholes. Dangerous conditions such as these add to the likelihood of slipping and falling during the winter months.
Slip and fall accidents can cause severe injuries, such as broken bones, fractures, and even traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord injuries both of which can result in permanent disability or death.
Conditions That Cause Winter Slip And Fall Accidents
All property owners are required to maintain their properties and take reasonable precautions to prevent injuries by correcting known problems. In the winter, certain conditions can quickly become problematic and are therefore more likely to contribute to slip and fall accidents.
For example, private sidewalks that have not been cleared of snow or ice can be slick and dangerous. A build-up of snow and ice can also hide tripping hazards such as cracks and uneven pavement.
Also, building defects, such as clogged roof drains or faulty gutters, can misdirect water runoff onto pathways where it can freeze and pose a slipping danger to pedestrians.
Preventing Slip And Fall Accidents This Winter
To help prevent wintertime injuries, follow these safety precautions:
- Always wear footwear that is appropriate for outdoor weather conditions. Choose shoes or boots that offer increased traction.
- Walk carefully and take smaller steps. Keep a steady pace and avoid running, brisk walking, or sudden directional changes.
- Always keep pathways clear of snow and ice. Use ice melt and shovel your sidewalk and steps regularly.
- Avoid distractions as you walk; do not use your cell phone or other electronics.
- Keep your hands out of your pockets in case you need to catch yourself while falling. Wear gloves or mittens for warmth instead.
Winter slip and fall accidents can cause devastating injuries which can lead to high medical bills, lost wages, and months of pain and suffering. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, choose the skilled lawyers at O’Connor, Acciani & Levy to fight for the justice and compensation you deserve.