Medical malpractice can be defined as negligence on the part of a health care provider which causes a new injury or illness to the patient, or which worsens an existing condition. Often these injuries or illnesses are caused when a doctor deviates from the accepted standards of practice when treating a patient.
Accepted standards of practice are widely acknowledged guidelines for treating medical conditions. A deviation from these accepted standards can often result in serious injury, extended pain and suffering, or even death.
It is important to contact a legal representative as soon as possible if you believe that you have been the victim of medical malpractice. Medical malpractice cases are very difficult and complex in nature. It is important to have an experienced malpractice lawyer who can effectively pursue your case. The medical malpractice lawyers of O’Connor, Acciani & Levy Co., LPA offer free consultations to discuss your legal options for a medical malpractice case.
No doctor can guarantee the successful treatment of a medical condition. There is always a chance that a procedure or treatment could have unforeseen consequences for the patient. However if a physicians negligence is the cause of a new or worsened medical condition, then they may have committed medical malpractice.
Some examples of potential medical malpractice are:
- A physician incorrectly using prescription drugs, implants or medical devices.
- A mistake made during surgery or with the administration of anesthesia.
- A physician not securing the informed consent of the patient before an operation or procedure.
- A physician being unable to correctly diagnose an injury or disease, or delayed in doing so.
- The correct diagnosis of an injury or illness is made, but the doctor does not properly treat the condition.
- A lack of proper care for the mother or infant during childbirth.
Medical malpractice often involves severe lifelong consequences. If you believe that you or a member of your family have been the victim of medical malpractice, then call the medical malpractice lawyers at O’Connor, Acciani & Levy. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will stand up for your rights and make sure you receive the justice that you deserve. Call us at (877) 288-3241 for a free consultation.