Extreme temperatures and inclement weather can make driving dangerous during the winter, especially in the event of a breakdown.
Therefore, proper vehicle maintenance is essential for staying safe on the road during the winter season.
By performing winter-time maintenance on your car, you will be preparing yourself for a multitude of hazardous scenarios that you may encounter while driving in cold weather.
Before the winter weather strikes, its important to schedule a professional tune-up and inspection of your vehicle, which should include:
- Checking the brakes to ensure they perform properly.
- Inspecting the exhaust system for carbon monoxide leaks, which could be fatal.
- Testing the vehicles heating system, windshield wipers, and defrosting system to make sure you will be kept safe and warm inside your car.
- Changing the oil for optimal cold weather performance. Winter weight oil may be used, depending on the climate in which you live.
- Checking the tread on the tires, as well as the pressure; tires must have proper tread and be properly inflated in order to grasp the road in all conditions.
Throughout the winter, its also important to keep your gas tank full and not let the gas gauge drop below half, as keeping the tank full prevents the possibility of your vehicles gas line freezing.
In addition to your gas tank level, make it a point to regularly check the following vehicle fluids and components during the winter months:
- Antifreeze level
- De-icing wiper fluid
- Interior and exterior lights
- Tire pressure
- Oil levels
In the event you are stranded in your vehicle due to a bad weather car accident or a breakdown, having emergency supplies on hand can help keep you safe and alive while waiting for emergency responders to arrive.
In the winter-time, pack your vehicle with the following items:
- Warm clothes and blankets
- Flashlights, matches, and emergency flares
- Jumper cables
- An emergency supply of necessary medications
- Bottled water
- Nonperishable food and snacks
- Ice scraper and brush
At O’Connor, Acciani & Levy, our Cincinnati injury attorneys and support staff care about your winter-time driving safety. If you have been injured in a winter weather car accident, our car accident attorneys will pursue justice on your behalf and fight for the compensation you deserve.