WHAT IS NURSING HOME ABUSE?
Nursing home abuse or elder abuse occurs when nursing home staff members:
- Physically harm the resident
- Verbally abuse the resident
- Treat a resident like a baby or show disrespect
- Ignore the resident or give him or her the silent treatment
- Force any type of sexual advances upon a resident, including intimate touching, nudity or sexually explicit photos
- Use or steal a resident’s property or financial information
Nursing home residents may be quiet and not openly communicate their suffering to others. That is why it is so important to visit your loved one on a regular basis and:
- Talk to the resident
- Pay attention to anything that seems different or wrong
- Look for bruises and bedsores
- Ask whether everyone on the staff is being kind
- Ask whether anything is missing or needs to be checked
- Notice whether he or she is giving you normal eye contact or is avoiding eye contact
If you suspect that there may be a problem with how the facility is treating your loved one, it is in your best interest to call a law firm whose attorneys have years of experience handling nursing home abuse cases. Our skilled legal team is ready to evaluate your case and fight for your loved one’s right to compensation.